Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Guided Reading
Well today we discussed Guided Reading. I was glad we did this because I was a little unsure on what we were going to do about the upcoming assignment. I am not really sure about how I feel about Guided Reading. I know I have witnessed it before but I don't know if it is the most effective way to teach reading. Firstly, I feel that to teach Guided Reading you have to be really organized. I don't know how you can teach all these different levels of reading to your students and have full control of your whole class at the same time. I am excited to witness guided reading being done in the classrooms in our future participation days. I think the hardest thing about teaching guided reading will be thinking of something creative and enriching for the other students to do while the teacher works with one of the guided reading groups. I am glad we are spending about two weeks on guided reading because I don't feel that I am that strong in it or very comfortable with it yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, I am also worried about coming up with other activities to do with the students who are not with the teacher for instruction! I agree you will have to be very organized and be a good manager. From my experience, it is very overwhelming at first, but once you get onto it, it is very fun! You can bring creativity into it. I am also glad we are spending 2 weeks on it! I feel you need to in order to have a good understanding of it. I think it will be very beneficial since most school districts use it. It will prepare us as future teachers.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your feelings on GR. I think that in the beginning it will be hard to try and find activities for your other students who are not in the GR group you are working with. I agree with Kyle though that once we get into it and feel comfortable finding tasks for our other students and doing GR in our classroom we will find that it is fun and helpful to our students. I look forward to learning more about GR and learning techniques to implement it into our classroom. I also think once we observe GR used in an actual elementary classroom we will see good examples and learn how to use it ourselves.
ReplyDelete