Well, first of all I have missed blogging for a few weeks. I am going to sum up the last couple of weeks in this one blog and then continue with the correct way of blogging on a regular basis =) Sorry to those following and to those I am following!
The last place I left off on was with Guided Reading. I really liked how prepared Dr. Poehner made us with Guided Reading. We went over the concept for a few days and then we actually got to perform our Guided Reading lessons. I really liked doing the Guided Reading lessons in class within our groups. It was fun to be able to watch our other peers perform their lessons and I thought it was especially helpful to do our own lessons. I liked performing the running record. This is something I am still a little nervous about doing in my own classroom though. I still am wondering how we will ever have time to assess our students this way all of the time. I think it is an excellent way to understand where a student is in their reading abilities and I think I will just have to get comfortable with a routine of running records. I also liked that we had to then reflect on our lessons. This made me evaulate how I did and what I would do different with my next Guided Reading. I think one of the most important things with Guided Reading will be to make sure that my centers for my other students will contain enough learning activities and will be beneficial to them.
The next thing we moved on to was the word games we performed. This was where we cut out letters of the alphabet and we formed words from using these letters and parts of other words. I really enjoyed this. I felt that this would be very successful in a classroom. I like that Dr. Poehner showed us that there are books for creating small words, medium words, and big words. This would be bneficial for all grade levels and abilities. I would definitely use this activity in my classroom.
Next we moved on to our fractured fairytales miniunit. This is my favorite thing we have done thus far. I think this would be an excellent unit for elementary students. They would absolutely love this! I really like that we began by reading fractured fairytales. Some students will not know what they are so I thought this was a great way to introduce the lesson. The next thing I loved and thought was an excellent idea was having us write our own fractured fairytales. This was fun and a great way to add ease into this crazy semester. Our fractured fairtale contained two princesses and ducks. The students in our classes will absolutely love this and could probably relate to it even more than we could. Students would love to dress up. I think I would already have dress up clothes in my room for the students to search through and then offer that if they have anything from home they would like to bring in they are more than welcome. I also LOVED comic life. I think this would be an excellent resource for a classroom. This could be used in so many different ways for students and they would love to take their final comic strips home to their parents. I liked the program a lot and thought it would be easy to use for students. The only thing I wish it had was pictures already installed in the program so we didn't have to look on the internet for everything. The last thing we did was perform our fractured fairytale. This was a fun activity to do and also a fun activity to watch. Students would love doing this. I also like that we video taped them. I would video tape them in my classroom and then show them on different events during the school year. This is something the students really would enjoy. I definitely plan on using this miniunit in my classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment