Monday, September 20, 2010

India

I really loved today's Language Arts Class. One of my favorite things is to learn about different countries and what their customs are. I have not done much traveling but I plan to do a lot in the future. I thought this was good to do in Language Arts because it shows us that we can make connections to other subjects in one subject. Most teachers would have taught this lesson in a social studies class however, I thought it worked well as a Language Arts Lesson. I liked that we first were to write a quickwrite about what we already knew about India. Then we brought our prior knowledge into a group discussion about what everyone at our tables knew about India. When we gathered all our information we made a concept map on a large post-it note paper. The center of of concept map was India and we included culture, religion, entertainment, food, and geography. We then shared with the whole class. I liked doing this because it showed what everyone else thought about India and then we found out what was true and what was not true. I enjoyed the movie clips at the end of class as well. I loved the movie "Slumdog Millionare" and I was recommend it to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I enjoyed learning about different cultures as well! I thought it was a very beneficial lesson for learning how to make connections and activating prior knowledge. I also felt this was something we would have learned in a social studies class. It was nice learning about it in language arts. I felt Dr. Poehner was able to give us great insights into the culture. I have never seen the movie “Slumdog Millionarie,” so I will have to see it! This lesson, I felt, helped prepare us for our Around the World Day teachings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this lesson in class as well! I thought it was also a great way to learn about our teacher and her background. I really enjoy learning about a country and being able to relate something to it, which makes it more important and memorable as well! I also have not seen the movie "Slumdog Millionare" but heard it was fantastic! Guess I have another movie to see on my movie list!

    ReplyDelete