Monday, September 13, 2010
Basal Critique
Today in class we went over the Basal Critique. This was very beneficial because I was somewhat confused on what we were supposed to exactly write about. I started the assignment but I wasn't sure if I was going in the right direction. When I first looked at the Basal I was very overwhelmed because there is so much information. I was surprised at how scripted the Basal was and that it tells you exactly what to do! This could be both fortunate and unfortunate in a classroom. I think it could be bad because it doesn't always force a teacher to think and be creative with their lessons. We also went and reread our interviews. This was good because if we had mistakes they could be fixed. I would want the block students to be looking forward to doing this and not be reading mistakes from future teachers. Lastly we went over chapter 2. This was helpful because we relearned what the gradual release of responsibility is. This will be very helpful with teaching our students.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel we said a lot of the same things in our posts. I was somewhat confused with the assignment as well. I felt it was beneficial to go back over the requirements. I think everyone benefited. I really liked how you mentioned how useful a basal is yet it can cause teachers to lose creativity in their lessons. I totally agree. I feel that the basal is a good tool and provides a structure for the teachers; however, teachers still need to apply their own touch to the basal’s lessons. Also, I am glad that we had a chance to look over our interviews. It is easy to make a grammatical mistake(s) on papers. Proofreading is very important and I feel it can be hard thing to do. Lastly, I am glad we were relearned GRR. I had forgotten about the stages that went along with it. It will be crucial to know when we are teaching!
ReplyDelete